Tuesday, January 19, 2010

And so begins another semester...

Well, I'm just "finishing" up my second week of my last semester of school and boy does it look quite challenging! (I say "finishing" because I never have classes on Wednesday's and this week and I think every second week I don't have classes on Thursday's either) I don't have very many projects, but what projects we do have are BIG projects! This semester we're taking a small business course that goes over the basics of starting your own business, which will be very helpful! we have another portrait class, a self promotion class (we have to make a website and business cards etc. Look for that in the future :) And a class called "Major Client" where we are broken into groups of four and are assigned a non-profit organization to have as a photographic client. We have to set up a meeting for them and go over what they want photographically and when certain events are. Throughout the semester, we need to acquire 50 hrs. of shooting time as a group altogether. Our group just had our meeting this afternoon and I think it will be interesting but challenging to say the least! We were assigned The Bissell Centre here in Edmonton which is a non-profit organization with about 18 different programs they run from day-care to a homeless shelter, so we'll definitely have quite the variety of shooting I think! I'm definitely a little bit nervous though, it'll be the second "job" I have done since beginning school, but I think the experience will be invaluable :) We also have a fine art class which is going to prove expensive as we move back to 4X5 film photography.
Over the past few weeks it's been pretty stressful as well, as I have basically wiped out my savings and am looking for a part time job for the semester with no luck so far. I haven't recieved a call back from any one place yet...so I'm kind of nervously praying that something comes! I would like to move back to GP in may, and money is a necessity for that, so here's praying!
There has been a few hospital visits around here as well! (not us being in the hospital) My grandmother has some heart problems and had to get an angiogram done (they inject dye into your veins to make sure everything is as it should be, which it was) but after the angiogram showed fine, she went back to her hotel room, and layed down for a nap. When she woke up she got an instant severe migraine and my grandpa and aunt took her back to the emergency room where they had to do a CT scan on her head to check for clots, and a spinal tap to make sure there was no blood in the spinal fluid. After a 13 hour wait, the tests came back and she was fine. So praise the Lord for that! I'm looking forward to having my grandma and grandpa coming to stay with me for the next week.
As some of you know, our dear friend Karen is currently being treated for lung cancer at the cancer institute here in Edmonton. She has had I think 3 weeks of chemo and radiation so far, and has another 3 to go, but we went and saw her tonight and she is looking and feeling fantastic! She was happy, energetic and just doing great! Just goes to show how powerful prayer is :) She said without people praying for her, she's sure she would not be doing as well as she is, so keep praying people, it's definitely working! :)
So those are the updates in my life. I could use some prayer, if you ever think of it. I think this semester is going to be very stressful as I am doing graphic design schooling, full time schooling, possibly a job as well as looking for a job in GP and a place to live. I was also put into a group for one of my courses where I am very nervous about how it's going to work out. I'm a little worried that I may end up doing most of the work, and as you can tell, I do not have time for that!! Prayer that everyone will pitch in and do their share and that we'll pass! Also, prayer for the job and savings situations. Definitely nervous about that one, and praying hard! Hope you all are doing well!

And today's Chuck Norris made me giggle a little bit:
"Simply by pulling on both ends, Chuck Norris can stretch diamonds back into coal."

No comments: